There are many ways you can help BHT help the harbour
– sign up for the Love Our Harbour newsletter to hear about BHT’s latest news and harbour-friendly events (free)
– become a Friend of BHT (£30 pa)
– become a Founder Life Member (a one-off donation of £500)
– make a donation (see below)
– Join the Love Our Harbour initiative: offer your services. Do you have an idea for a Love Our Harbour event? Would you like to help the small, friendly organising team?
Most importantly, please tell us your thoughts and views about all harbour matters, and feel free to ask us questions.
Self Assessment Tax Return
Those who complete a Self Assessment Tax Return are able to nominate a charity to receive all or part of any repayment due to them by ticking a box on their Return form.
Donation of shares
Donating shares and other investments can be a very effective way to help a charity, and also has considerable tax benefits for the donor.
Tax relief is available for securities listed on the UK Stock Market, the AIM and recognised stock exchanges overseas. It is also available for UK Unit Trust units and some foreign investments.
An individual can claim tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day the gift is made, together with any associated costs such as brokers’ fees. The relief is against income tax in that year.
Additionally, donors do not have to pay capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the shares since they bought them. However, any loss in value cannot be used to offset other capital gains tax liability.
Any donation left to the charity is completely free of Inheritance Tax and provides an ideal way of limiting the exposure of your estate to that taxation.
Your solicitor will advise you of the various forms a legacy can take. However, if you would like to discuss the matter in more detail with the Trust, please get in touch.