Objectives of the Trust
To preserve and enhance Bembridge Harbour, its approaches and setting for the benefit of the public, including users of the Harbour and the communities of Bembridge and St Helens on the Isle of Wight.
The Principal aim of the Trust
The Trust was set up as a means of delivering the Harbour into community-led control with any surplus revenues invested in the Harbour in perpetuity.
Until such time as there is an opportunity to purchase the Harbour and appropriate land necessary to run it, or the need to address any management failure, the Trust will continue to monitor and support Harbour activities within the mandate of its statutory objectives.
Other aims are to ensure that:
▪ Statutory obligations concerning the Harbour and its environs are achieved by the Harbour owning company or any other locally relevant organization.
▪ The provision of continued access for all members of the community and for visitors to the amenities that the Harbour offers.
▪ The protection of the wildlife and their habitats in and around the Harbour.
▪ The protection of the scenery of the Harbour and be vigilant in seeing that over-exploitation or neglect does not occur.
▪ The Harbour’s unique mixed character is preserved as a working harbour and recreational amenity.
▪ The facilities for water-based sports, such as sailing and angling are improved for all.
▪ There are increased opportunities for bird watching and walking.
▪ The area is maintained as a well-kept and desirable residential and commercial harbour.
▪ The fabric of the Harbour and the facilities it offers is restored and improved so that it regains its special position as a unique and desirable destination for all.
▪ The proper management of sewage disposal, maintenance of channels, dredging, navigation, and buoyage comply with statutory obligations